Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Closer Look at a Kenya Basketball Coach

Editor's Note: I discovered that hoops coaches in Africa are eager to learn the game and teach their players. I sat down with such a coach in Kenya.

Ben, a men and women’s basketball coach in Nairobi, thoroughly enjoys attending the AIA coaching clinics in Kenya. The 36-year-old husband and father is present for the third straight year.

Apart from the basketball knowledge, I also like the spiritual and basketball knowledge,” Ben said. ”They combine spiritual and Biblical knowledge.”

Ben played basketball for 11 years including a stint with the Kenya national team. He has coach for five years and considers it a privilege.

“I coach to give back to society,” he said. “Society gave the chance to me. (I want) to give them (players) not only skills in basketball but the way they live their daily life.”

Ben appreciates the AIA coaches’ emphasis on basketball basics.

“What I like about the AIA clinics is they work on the fundamentals of basketball so much.”

Ben also knows players might benefit from the clinics in a special way.

“The athletes if they are good enough will get an opportunity for a (college) scholarship. So they (AIA coaches) can improve the lives of athletes in Kenya.”

Ben, a Christian, is a big fan of AIA.

“I like to encourage AIA to keep up the good work. I look forward to having them here every year. I like their testimonies.”

No comments: