Friday, December 10, 2010

Wisconsin Rewind

I mentioned recently that I was in the great state of Wisconsin last week. Part of my time was spent in Madison—the home of the University of Wisconsin.

Madison is a buzz about the football team’s trip to the Rose Bowl. This was even before the Badgers knew their opponent. Merchants are cashing in too. I saw plenty of Rose Bowl apparel.

It was fun to visit a couple specialty Badger apparel stories. Everything red and white. I didn’t know they could put Bucky Badger’s likeness on so many things.

But my main sports focus of the week was attending the NC State-Wisconsin basketball game. I have been a Wolfpack fan for years due to connections at the ACC school. We sat in a section with Wolfpack fans transferred to the Midwest. So it was fun connecting with some new people.

The game: not so much. NC State lost by 39 points. It was over at halftime. The Wolfpack has a bunch of young, talented players. But as one coach once said, “The best thing about freshman (players) is that they become sophomores.” Senior Tracy Smith is out with a knee injury. The Wolfpack needs his big body, experience and scoring. Until that happens, NC State will struggle.

I was dressed in my Wolfpack apparel. I think the Badger fans actually felt sorry for me after the game. But to top it off, a waiter at a restaurant saw my Wolfpack sweater and deadpanned “I’m sorry.”

But hopefully someday, the Wolfpack can return the favor to the Badgers. Then red, black and white will triumph over simply red and white.

No comments: