Tuesday, September 13, 2011

College Football Uniforms

I don’t consider myself the fashion police but what are some of those teams in college football thinking?

Tuning briefly into the Notre Dame-Michigan game last Saturday night, the team’s uniforms caught me attention. Was this some sort of throwback attire or was it a tribute to 9-11? Both teams uniforms looked similar and frankly, gaudy. Okay, it wasn’t like putting plaid and stripes together, but it was far from classy. You had Notre Dame greener than St. Patrick’s Day, while you couldn’t miss Michigan’s large print. I guess it was a sight-challenged person’s dream.

And what’s up at the University of Maryland? Those black, red and white uniforms look like something out of a sci-fi movie. Are they supposed to make the opponents dizzy? Those things are just plain scary looking. As they say, “Don’t adjust your TV set at home.”

I have mentioned Phil Knight’s Oregon uniforms before in this space. Knight and Nike will do what they want to with the Ducks’ apparel. But are these other teams trying to keep with the Jones or do they just do it to have people like me make a big deal over it?
I don’t want college uniforms to go the direction of plain vanilla Penn State, but I think we could still have some class in uniform selection.

What do you think?

No comments: