Thursday, October 27, 2011

Basic Journalism Practice

We learned yesterday West Virginia joining the Big 12 conference is a possibility not a reality.

Okay, I learned my lesson…maybe. Yesterday, I remembered what I heard in journalism school a long time ago. You need to report the facts. But ladies and gentlemen in this Internet age that is difficult. Everybody uses the term “source” on the Internet, but few actually know who the source is. News is like the microwave oven: we cannot wait. This is no time to use the slow cooker.

Well, that attitude definitely got in the way with the West Virginia story. It turned out there was no story. Can anyone say “Egg on the face” including mine?

Apparently, people outside the Big 12 and West Virginia cried foul. Louisville may be competing with the Mountaineers for the Big 12 spot. But who really knows?

Two things I do know. The Big 12 is one very strange acting conference and secondly, I need to get the facts straight before my fingers attack the keyboard.

Oh one last thing: stay tuned for more from the Big 12 soap opera.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Paul,
Thanks for owning up to not being perfect--you had us all worried for awhile. Now we know you're one of us -- i.e. human; therefore not perfect! Looking forward to more insightful & funny blogs from you.

Paul Delger said...

Thanks for your comments, I think. Ha, ha. Yes, I'm very human and not perfect.