Tuesday, December 6, 2011

This is Shameful

Shame on UCLA. Shame on the NCAA. Shame on the Hunger Bowl.

The UCLA Bruins are going to a bowl game with a record of 6-7. This is not a misprint. The Bruins were rewarded with a trip for a losing record.

I know it seems like here are 100 bowls these days. Actually, I think there are only 30-some. But the real question is has college football sunk this low inviting losers to the party? I was upset a few years ago when teams with 6-6 marks began receiving bowl invitations. Like many things in life, I eventually became use to it, but inviting teams with losing records won’t grow on me.

Folks this isn’t grade school or junior high. We don’t give college football team’s participation medals. Teams need to earn bowl games. Teams that don’t have .500 records or better need to stay home and try again next year.

UCLA applied for a waiver from the NCAA because of its record. The NCAA granted the request. UCLA should have never requested the waiver and the NCAA should not have granted it. End of discussion and end of story.

Come to think about however this situation does have one plus. It’s just one less bowl game I will be tempted to watch.

I hear my sock drawer calling me.

No comments: