Friday, February 3, 2012

How did your Team Fare?

We made it through another college football signing day on Wednesday. Other than the political process, this day is probably the largest selling hope time of the entire year.

The usual football powers landed their usual four and five-star recruits. We heard the players say how glad they were to be joining fill-in-the blank school. They loved the tradition of the school, the coaches and probably the team mascot.

The coaches at power school acted like it was no big deal. They are used to being the most popular girl at the school dance. These players will fit into the system like the ones from previous signing days the coach’s body language says.

And then there were the schools that picked up the crumbs on national signing day. Coaches at those schools are always selling hope. They tell us they may not have signed the glamour athlete but they fitted their needs with the guys who committed. Fans of schools with records such as 2-10 and 3-9 always enjoy hearing that (my attempt at a joke).

So what did we learn? Fans still love national signing day. ESPNU must love it too with its hours of coverage. The rich got richer. The poor hope they struck gold with one or two surprised recruits. It was a pretty typical day.

I used to get caught up in the hype of this day, but not anymore. Four or five-star recruits in theory don’t win football games. Only performance does. So show me the goods on Saturday before I become impressed.

What are your thoughts on national signing day?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Very helpful information specifically the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.
Best Pet Swanky Pet Stroller, Orange

Paul Delger said...

David, Thanks for reading my blog and your encouraging comments. I appreciate it.