Thursday, February 9, 2012

No Longer a Fan

I opted for a fan divorce last year and it still feels a bit strange.

I became a supporter of North Carolina State probably in the 90s. My friend, Jim, served in athletic administration there and “forced” me to become a fan of the Wolfpack. He would send me apparel and various reading materials including media guides. Even though I live in Iowa, I followed NC State closer than Iowa State or Iowa. It was all because of my friend connection.

One fall, I even traveled to Raleigh to visit my friend and take in a football game and an exhibition men’s basketball contest. It was fun being in a place that had like-minded fans.

I proudly wore my Wolfpack clothing and eagerly looked forwarded to any NC State football or basketball game on television.

But my love officially ended last year. Jim retired in late 2010 and even though I tried to continue my support, my heart wasn’t there. So I decided to retire in a way too and cut all athletic ties with NC State.

I will still watch a Wolfpack game occasionally (or in passing) but never the entire contest. I no longer look forward to the games or stand up yelling in my house at the television

It’s somewhat sad, but life moves forward. I enjoyed my time as a Wolfpack fan, but divorces happen including sports ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who got the Wolfpack clock in the divorce? l0l---

Paul Delger said...

That's still TBA