Thursday, June 28, 2012

College Football Fans Receive Their Wish

I can just hear some college football fans yelling down their streets “The playoffs are coming, the playoffs are coming.”

College football officials this week instituted a four-team playoff system to begin in 2014. Apparently, football officials heard enough from the fans and they also wanted to “cash” in to a new major income source. What’s the old saying, “If they say it isn’t about the money, it’s always about the money.”

Regardless, the fans won’t need to complain about the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) any longer. The system that used computers and rankings to help choose a national championship will become history.

But before people stand up and declare the system is finally whole, I say in the words of Lee Corso “Not so fast.” What about those teams that will still be on the fringes of the playoffs? If I’m the fifth or sixth best team, I remain disappointed. What about opening the playoffs to 1-8?

You always heard fans complain that Division I football was the only sport not crowning a true champion. But football is the only sport with the bowl system. If I’m some mid-range or low tier bowls, I become nervous. For example, is the college football system ready to declare their independence from the Independence Bowl? The Bowl system could go on a major diet in the near future. But then again, maybe I will be able to quit writing why 6-6 or 7-5 teams don’t deserve bowl games.

I’m happy that some fans were given their wish. But, before I grant this new arrangement success, I want to stand on the sidelines a little while longer and see what develops.

No comments: