Monday, December 10, 2012

A Letter to Iowa State Football Coach Paul Rhoads

Congratulations Coach on helping your Iowa State football team received a Liberty Bowl bid. You already beat Tulsa once this year, so make it a twofer.

I truly appreciate what you have done for the Cyclone football program. I love your passion and fire. You seem to truly care for your football players and that scores high marks with me. And you are a fellow Iowan. You understand Iowa and certainly the Iowa State culture.

I attended my first game this season since you took the Cyclone job. Jack Trice Stadium was a rocking place. Even in defeat, the atmosphere was electric. I have been to football games in the past where the mood was “We can’t wait for basketball season.”

You have the opportunity to become one of the special coaches in Iowa State history. You know that special history isn’t long. So embrace it, Coach. Go for it. Be a long-term Cyclone. Truly do something special.

Other places will want to hire you as their coach, but please think long-and-hard

if specific opportunities are presented. Remember, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence, and the grass is pretty green at Jack Trice Stadium these days.

Give my regards to Coach Bill Bleil. We have a history together back at Northwestern College.

Best to you and the Cyclone football program.



No comments: