Friday, August 19, 2011

Cheering Your Favorite Team

I am looking for a little interaction today. Why do you cheer for particular college teams?

Personally, I need a connection to faithfully cheer for a school. Or sure, I can pick a team during a national contest (usually the underdog), but there isn’t a real investment there. Plus, it’s a one-shot deal and nothing long term.

My local team is the Iowa State Cyclones. I attended school and worked in athletics there. My connections are deep. Enough said. Now, I wish the Cyclones would string some victories together in football and basketball.

I also cheer for the University of Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks. I also attended school and worked in athletics there. It’s a little more difficult to follow ULM due to the distance and lack of national exposure. But the Warhawks are coming to Iowa this fall to play the Hawks, so I can root for them then.

One team that will probably drop from my list is North Carolina State. I have a dear friend who was in athletics there. He retired last year, so there went the connection. The investment was there for a long time and thus the divorce is difficult.

I also follow two specific basketball teams but don’t cheer for the schools in general. With connections at Baylor and Virginia, I keep a close eye on the Bears and Cavaliers.

Sometimes it’s a judgment call tracking the teams. If they play at similar times on the same dates that presents a problem. I only have two eyes and ears and one television.

So who do you follow and for what reasons?

2 comments:

Jimmy said...

Michigan State, my boy, Michigan State. If it weren't for that school, I wouldn't be alive today (1- take that for what you will, may be a reason for some to boo MSU; 2- okay, God probably had more to do w/ orchestrating the whole birth & life thing). My parents met there. I remember as a kid making the trip up to East Lansing to watch football games; I remember the infant and kiddy gear I wore. Growing up watching sports, I became a fan of Tom Izzo - love his style. Guys like Magic, Mateen, Mo'Pete, Shannon Brown, Maurice Ager, Chris Hill, Drew Neitzel, Travis Walton, Day-Day Green (and a couple guys now wearing that Cyclone jersey)... love it. I hope Dantonio gets stuff going here as well, he's made some progress.
Now, almost as much, I pull for the Matt Murken-led Jamestown College Jimmies hoops squad. First, they got a cool name (hook me 'up w/ more gear Murk); second, their coach reminds me of a young Danny Miles.

Paul Delger said...

Jimmy--Thanks for explaining your loyalty to Michigan State. The football team has been a strange bunch in the recent past. It teases fans and then fizzles out like an old fountain Coke. But you can also hope, Jimmie. Just ask Cub fans. Good luck with getting more gear from Murk. Maybe you could get some more for some guy in Iowa, too. Ha.