Thursday, March 18, 2010

Let the Games Begin

This is the "Most Wonderful Time of the Year." March Madness begins in earnest today with the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.

My favorite part of the tournament is the opening round. Two straight days of 64 teams playing 32 games. There are so many games you become dizzy trying to follow them all. Teams are in the field you have never heard of or cared about. Upsets occur. Some unknown team rises and the coach, team and fans go wild. One or more of the highly favored teams wonder what happened. It's what makes March Madness special.

I am still waiting for a No. 16 seed to defeat a No. 1 seed. It's never occurred in the tournament. I keep hoping every year. Maybe 2010 is the magical year. How about Lehigh over Kansas?

None of my teams made the tournament this year. It's been a while actually. So I don't need to worry about sweaty palms or an uneasiness in my chest.

I will do small cheers for the underdogs in the tournament. I will cheer for the team in my home state--the University of Northern Iowa.

What is your favorite part of March Madness? Who is your team in this year's tournament?

No comments: