Monday, April 4, 2011

Go Butler Go

Let me be perfectly clear: I will not cheer for UConn in tonight’s college basketball finale. No way, no how. I cannot do it.

I cannot cheer for a Big East Conference team. Call it bias if you must. By the way, UConn is an east coast team and that doesn’t score points with me either. You want further justification. Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun is in trouble with the NCAA.

Now that I have the negativity out of the way, let’s talk about Butler.

This is the second straight year the Bulldogs have played in the final game. Last year, they were the Cinderella team. This year, they have played like they belong in the club. Butler needs to finish the job and take the title back to basketball-rich Indiana.

As I have stated in the past, this Butler outfit displays blue collar. Style is not a consideration. It is a team in the true sense of the word. Nobody cares who scores the points. Play tough defense, score enough points and go home with the victory.

Brad Stevens should win another coach-of-the-year award. He’s the driver of this bus and knows how and when to pull the right buttons. Simply, the guy can coach. And he does it with class. You won’t see him beating his chest telling the world he’s something wonderful. As I like to say, it’s hard not to cheer for the guy.

So come on, Butler, do your school proud. Finish the job and cut down the nets. Most of the America is cheering for you.

No comments: